At 12:29 on 7/9/96, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I own a french edition of Hippocrates' aphorisms, translated from greek by
> Lazare Meyssonnier, edited in 1684 (finished printing on august 5, 1684),
> following by the "keys of the aphorisms" and some other texts.
> L. Meyssonnier was the counsellor and the physician of the King Louis the
> XVIth, doctor of the University of Montpellier, and professor at the
> College of Medicine in Lyon.
> The first aphorism is (I think commentaries are in brackets):
>
> "The life is brief and the art is long (to learn), the occasion is
> punctual. The experience hard; the judgement difficult. And it's not only
> necessary (that the physician) sets himself in a fit state to do what he
> has to do on his part: but also he must the patient to set in, with those
> who are presents [...] for the cure of the illness." (translated from old
> french...)

Thank you.
I envy you for that posession.

I did some Homework.
On one of the CD-ROMs "Electronic Home Library" I found a translated text:
>  Electronically Enhanced Text (c) Copyright 1991, World Library, Inc.
>
> S_I
>                            APHORISMS
> -
>   SECTION I
> -
>   Life is short, and Art long; the crisis fleeting; experience
> perilous, and decision difficult. The physician must not only be
> prepared to do what is right himself, but also to make the patient,
> the attendants, and externals cooperate.
> -
>   2. In disorders of the bowels and vomitings, occurring
> spontaneously, if the matters purged be such as ought to be purged,
> they do good, and are well borne; but if not, the contrary. And so
> artificial evacuations, if they consist of such matters as should be
> evacuated, do good, and are well borne; but if not, the contrary. One,
> then, ought to look to the country, the season, the age, and the
> diseases in which they are proper or not.
>                                                           {S_I ^paragraph 5
> -

And then there are URL's

A Dictionary of Aphorisms
http://www.cfi.waseda.ac.jp/KENKYUU/linkproject/members/d9400644/index.html

And a second translation:
 which I found using Yahoo:
http://www.yahoo.com/Arts/Humanities/Literature/Electronic_Literature/

This file was retrieved from Book Stacks Unlimited, Inc.
telnet books.com -or- http www.books.com -or- ftp ftp.books.com
-or- modem (216)861-0469

                                     400 BC
                                   APHORISMS
                                 by Hippocrates
                          translated by Francis Adams

  SECTION I

  1. Life is short, and Art long; the crisis fleeting; experience
perilous, and decision difficult. The physician must not only be
prepared to do what is right himself, but also to make the patient,
the attendants, and externals cooperate.

  2. In disorders of the bowels and vomitings, occurring
spontaneously, if the matters purged be such as ought to be purged,
they do good, and are well borne; but if not, the contrary. And so
artificial evacuations, if they consist of such matters as should be
evacuated, do good, and are well borne; but if not, the contrary. One,
then, ought to look to the country, the season, the age, and the
diseases in which they are proper or not.

Gerard Freriks,huisarts, MD
C. Sterrenburgstr 54
3151JG Hoek van Holland
the Netherlands  (31) 174-384296/ Fax: -386249

ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS