I have a new patient with fairly mild but bothersome angio-oedema over the
last 18 months, consisting of lip and, to a lesser extent, eye swelling. She
has a daughter who has severe urticaria at times. I have sent off bloods for
C1 esterase inhibitor levels, IgE etc, but I would be grateful if any of the
group have had any experience in dealing with patients like this and could
offer advice. She responds well to oral steroids but not at all to
terfenadine. I have read that adding Cimetidine or rantidine helps, or that
it is worth trying hydroxyline or cyproheptadine hydrochloride.. She is only
helped a bit by chlorpheniramine and does not like the sedation.  ?Plasmin
inhibitors such as alpha-aminocaproic acid danazol etc.

I have only just begun subscribing to gp-uk. I am a half-time partner in
Horwich, Lancs and the other half of my time is in Ophthalmology, both in
the NHS at the Royal Eye Hospital in Manchester and privately doing excimer
laser work in the same city with Optimax Laser Eye Clinics. (cf
http://www.demon.co.uk/optimax/). Hence, if there are any queries in
Ophthalmology or to do with refractive surgery, I would be happy to try and
oblige.

Stephen Doyle
Dr Stephen J Doyle
H:  17 Dale View,Chorley,Lancs,PR7 3QJ,UK  Tel: 01257-279419
W1: Market Surgery, Horwich, Lancs BL6 5QF Tel: 01204-697696
W2: Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, M13 9WH Tel: 0161-276-5562
W3: Optimax Laser Eye Clinic,Manchester M2 3FU Tel: 0161-839-9369