At 10:13 on 28/8/96, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> [log in to unmask],Internet wrote at 8:46 pm on 27/8/96
> to Adrian Midgley about "Return to fat server, thin client".
>
> The thing about the thin client as I heard it, and as in this month's Byte
> magazine, is that it is less the machine than the programs which are the
> thin client - IE your thin client for the new distributed architecture can
> as easily be one of your 25 PCs as a new cheap box.
>
> However, if you want to add another dozen terminals...
>
> Of course, before long a new version of Visual Java++ will require a
> Pentium Pro to do the client level checking before the client's browser
> signals back to the server....
>
> Intranet/internet does seem like one of those stunningly simple
> propositions which forever changes the way we look at what we do, without
> very greatly altering what we do but making it easier to understand, run
> and use.
>
> You were lucky to be allowed into the computer room in a mask, _I_ remember
> punching cards one hole at a time and posting them...

Yes, all true.

But wait for the moment that there arive different versions of the
JAVA-engine. Each firm/system with different extentions/dialects/etc,etc

One other problem is the fact that having DOS, running Windows, running a
Browser, with a JAVA motor (Just in time compiler or interpreter) is a lot
of overhead. The system won't be fast.

Apple has a JAVA motor running as an application. And the next version of
Mac-OS probably will have the motor build in.
(There are strong rumours that a database will become part of the operating
system as well)

All thinking about computers, programs is evolving. Java is the craze of
this moment, but..
MARK MY WORDS
The only real solution is the moment when we start thinking DOCUMENTS,
instead of HTML and JAVA-applets. Documents which are value-added with
markup=SGML.

Gerard Freriks,huisarts, MD
C. Sterrenburgstr 54
3151JG Hoek van Holland
the Netherlands  (31) 174-384296/ Fax: -386249

ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS