> Does SSL v2 where digital certificates are available for both the
> server AND client change the model?

Not anything like enough. To make web-based records work, we will
need (a) a security infrastructure (b) a means of doing signatures
and crypto on web objects.

The former could be built with SDSI, I think. As for the latter, it
is well known to be hard to use the netscape security API and banks
who have tried to set up secure inyranets have ended up using
proxies. That is also what one of our students did when he built a
secure web system for his Diploma project.

The good news is that you could probably integrate a web proxy with a
low cost firewall to provide a single network security device for
general practice and hospital departments. The bad news is that you
might end up not being able to use an off-the-shelf network PC. But
then these don't appear to be successful in the marketplace anyway,
so does it matter? And if it did, I'm sure that Herman Hauser would
provide a NetPC ROM upgrade!

Ross