The NHS WAN (HealthNet) will allow access to the WWW through a
firewall/secure gateway.

The individual is the one granted access to HealthNet,  not the
organisation.

So,  you have a piece of gear like a card that will keep asking you
for verifications every now and then.

You will be able to access WWW from home through HealthNet(same
mechanism,  firewall).

Encryption (ala Ross et al) is required for the transfer of
clinically sensitive data.

When you "surf" the net (God,  I do hate that term!),  you are not
transferring any data.  You need to set your computer to "no sharing"
etc.  when you do anyway,  regardless of it (the connection) is via
HealthNet or Penge.

e-mail is slightly more involved,  in the sense that it will be
handled by a messaging service (BT Syntegra).  The mail server is
still behind a firewall,  but that does not mean you can not
send(STMP) and receive(POP) e-mail to the world and its husband.

If,  after all this you are still confused,  contact your LCMG.

Watch this space,  'coz I am thinking of organising a series of
workshops to explain it all in the Real Idiots Guide to HealthNet.

Once you have mustered that,  we can move on to explain the Red Book
and various other bits of peculiar practices relating to general
practice in the UK ;-)  Like:  why do some GPs STILL insist on doing
more work for less money!!!  The mind boggles.

Anyone knows of an on-line Prozac mail order??  Would G Ross come
after me if I over diagnose myself??  Will the NetAlert fraternity
hound me for compensation against myself?  Will I be plaintif and
defendent at the same time??  Will this qualify for schizo as well
and yet another law suit?  Will I stop going on about it?  NO.  not
unless we get off this dreadful subject of depression.  As if going
to the Surgery every morning is not bad enough,  I have to be
reminded of it across the ether!!

Al Hakim Ibn Omar,  He Who Has Bought His Head.

Ahmad Risk MB BCh
tel: +44 1737 240022 fax: +44 1737 244660
http://www.cybermedic.org/