I'm interested by the position GPs seem to be in over gun licenses. The
plod are pressing for GPs as the only people who should sign gun
licenses, and yet the very people who apply for them (i.e. mostly fit
males) rarely come to the surgery and are unlikely to be known to the
doctor. I've had the same attitude to gun licenses for years - and
haven't changed it in the wake of the Dunblane hysteria. If I know the
patient well, and feel able to make a judgment, I sign the license. If I
don't know the patient, I don't. Once or twice the police have rung me up
and asked why, on the basis that most GPs used to just sign on the dotted
line.

I am of the opinion that anyone applying for a gun license - of any shape
or form - ought to have to pass some type of test, and go through some
type of psychological profiling - and pay for it. They do this in Germany
(where I believe mail-ordering from gun-u-like magazine is possible), and
the system seems to work well. It cuts the doctor out of the loop.

Taking personal responsibility for signing licenses when I know the
applicant well has never bothered me, but there aren't that many people I
know well enough to sign licenses for. We need a system that takes care
of the rest properly, and which is difficult enough that it will deter
the casual user, while detecting the psychopath. The same situation
applies to signing licenses for elderly drivers, something which isn't
much in the news since they rarely kill large numbers of children in one
place, but which is perhaps more dangerous overall given the numbers of
elderly drivers on the road - why do GPs end up signing the licenses
here? In my opinion, a retest would be the better option in a lot of
cases, because I have little idea how my patients drive.

Andrew

Dr. Andrew N. Herd MRCGP

General Practitioner & Journalist
Medical Adviser to County Durham Health Commission