Read Codes

Welcome Rob Hampton of NHS CCC to GP-UK

I have read carefully your e-mail.

I am unable to understand some of your ideas fully. Especial ennumeration
and compostitional.

Formal evaluation by an American based organisation seems odd.

If it is a 'Product' why the reluctance to modify it quickly for customers?

Market place evaluation - if you step back through the UK-GP archives
you will see what the market place think of your product. Whilst you have
become more
market orientated in the last nine months you have a long way to go.

Could I suggest that you reply say on a weekly basis to the following headings.

1. 	"Why do you think computers are useful"
for anything except fully automated industrial type jobs or at a pinch as a
replacement
for typing pools ?
There is abundant evidence that they are expensive options for most medical
clerical tasks
 especial if their if their failure rate was costed.

2.	"Data collection is rarely of use"
past the end of the current episode of illness.
Retrospective research on data collected for other purposes is of little use
for research.
Though there are financial advantages in some countries but if use is un-planned
it is a time consuming task to collectors.

3.	"Present classification systems"
are too big, have no clear function and there is no co-ordination of
search engines between their designers and the collectors.

This should do for the start. Depending on your replies, if you reply, I
will comment further.

By the way I have been using Read Codes for two years, with a simple search
engine. I and my
partners have laboriously found/used about 3 500 individual terms in that
time, about 15 000 times
on 11 000 patients. The Read words are often inappropriate, diffuse and the
search chaotic.
The search routine was imposed on the designers of the search engine so that
doctors could not
have their choice as first choice but would be forced to key through
alternatives........
I understood this to be part of the original agreement between the
Commonwealth of Australia and CAMS.
Welcome once again.

Gerard Flaherty  FRACGP      67 Hopkins Street Moonah Tasmania 7009 AUSTRALIA
(The SAD Island south of  Australia)
email : [log in to unmask]
Fax 61-02-781257