In message <[log in to unmask]>, Susan
Butler <[log in to unmask]> writes
>It has been suggested that their is limited value in doing audit/research on hay
>fever because it does not have any serious detrimental effects on general haelth
>in most cases.

I'm afraid I disagree strongly.Hayfever may not have a serious
detrimental effect on general health - but it certainly reduces the
quality of life for sufferers - especially for severe sufferers and
particularly bad years(who else remebers 1976?)
> In General Practice I find prescribing for this sort of problem
>quite anxiety-provoking;
>i) patients who consult for this sort of problem seem to me to demand quite high
>standards - of their health and of their doctor. Unfortunately I have a feeling
>that most of the remedies prescribed for hay fever are of rather limited
>benefit.

I think they _should_ demand high standards of health.. and possibly
even of their doctors!
My impression is that when a patient has found something that works for
them , all I have to do is sign the repeat prescription.. Until then,
they _do_ consult frequently .. during their hay fever season.

>ii) if the problem is not going to affect general health too much I am
>particularly keen that the prescription shouldn't have a detrimental effect

Absolutely agree - but isn't that one of the reasons for this thread?

--
Mary Hawking
Kingsbury Court Surgery