In a message dated 29/07/96  13:59:46, Paul Caldwel writes:

>Does anyone know of a good review article of this subject?

Med line search reveals a large number of papaers, the virologists seem to
think the incidence is 1:3000 pregnancies or more, our practice has had 3 or
4 cases of active zoster in pregnancy in 750 pregnancies over 5 years, as
well as numerous contacts that proved to be immune (but the definition of
immunity is blurred, more details if interested).

Anyone else seen Zoster (new or shingles) in pregnancy, let me know Are we
unusual? , are we too aware of a problem/non-problem?  are the virologists
wrong?

On the same  subject, how many cases of seiond attacks of chicken pox are
GPukers aware of, I have seen at least 6 cases in the last five years, two of
them my own kids (with photogaphs to prove it!)

Virologists rarely see a case, another thing that GP's know is too common to
worry about, but would disturb the theories of immunity if it is common.

Trefor Roscoe                      Email; [log in to unmask]
Beighton Health Centre        Tel 0114 - 269 5061
Queens Road, Beighon        Fax 0114 - 269 7186
Sheffield S19 6BJ