Apologies for the double posting, but I forgot the header first time - must
be the humidity here in Newcastle!

In November I'm off on a trip to Nepal - partly hotels but mainly
walking/camping.  I know from others' past experience that amoebic
dysentery is a problem so I wondered what people thought of this advice
culled from a Web site on travel in India?

"It is still possible to get amoebic dysentary in India, so recognize the
symptoms.  For those unfamiliar with this yucky affliction, it's different
from plain old diarrhoea; usually, there is blood involved and no fever (if
fever is present, it's bacillic dysentary and will either go away by itself
or can be treated with antibiotics).  If left untreated, it can get very
nasty.

Treatment is easy but not pleasant: go to a drugstore (there in India, or
in other Asian countries) and ask for metradiazenole (sic?), often known as
Flagyl or Flagyl-forte.  You don't need a prescription for just about
anything in most of Asia.  Get ten days worth (40 tablets) and eat them
after eating because they're very hard on the stomach.  Drink NO alcohol,
or you'll throw up.  If your urine turns brown, don't worry.  That's
apparently a side-effect of the drug. "

Any other advice on health risks, particularly from anyone who's been
there/suffered from that/survived to tell the tale, would be welcome!

Bob Sugden

R C Sugden
Sowerby Unit for Primary Health Care Informatics
21 Claremont Place
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4AA
UK

Email: [log in to unmask]
Fax: 0 191 222 8788           International +44 191 222 8788
Tel: 0 191 222 8971           International +44 191 222 8971