I work in the disability services office at the University of Leeds,
and part of my duties are to take notes for deaf students.  I attend
lectures, seminars, etc., and take notes on a laptop.  A full sized
keyboard is attached to the laptop, as it is too difficult to type at
speed on a squelchy laptop keyboard.  This enables both the student
and I to read what I am typing, and a print out is available
afterwards.  Or the students can have the file copied on to disc.

A similar system is used at Bristol University, where I understand
there is a Hi-Line service.    However, at Bristol the students are
expected to buy the computers from the disabled students' allowance,
and similarly are expected to pay stlg12.50  per hour to the notetaker.

Do any other universities have facilities to take notes for deaf
students, and if so have they found any problems with using this kind
of system?  My only problem so far has been when a lecturer has read
his notes at breakneck speed - and I know from experience that it is
impossible to keep up with someone reading (as opposed to speaking)
even in shorthand, never mind on a laptop.

Finally, in a small room the noise of the keyboard is terribly
obtrusive.   Does anybody know of a silent keyboard?

Anne-Denise Worsnop, Disability Services,
Room 10.08, Economics Building, University of Leeds, LS2  9JT.
Tel:  0113   233-2616