 Chris Baxter said:

> I have to say it's not such an extraordinary question (Why should anyone
> wish to  tape record lectures)  Many of our students wish to use tape
<snip>
> in note takers wherever possible ( and acceptable to the student) .  Is this
> what Steve Metcalfe meant ? It's what I should mean if I had made the comment

Steve was responding to the message posted by Val Chapman:

* Guidelines for tape-recording lectures Does anyone have any kind of
* policy or safeguard mechanism, (e.g. a contract which students must
* sign) with regard to "private use only" of taped lectures?

I would guess he was referring to the 'contract' part of the question.

>From my conversations with students I have for assessment it appears
that tape recording lectures is becoming more and more popular among
all types of student. One told me that a table is specially set up at
the front of the class/theatre to hold all the tape recorders!

I've been told several times by disabled students that they have
problems getting a good recording position due to the number of
students using tape recorders.

Paul Dilley, Technical Manager
Computer Centre for People with Disabilities, University of Westminster
** The London & South East Regional Access Centre **

Tel: +44 171 911 5000 Fax: +44 171 911 5162 http://www.wmin.ac.uk/ccpd/