Hello,

I'd like to look into the possibility of the exchange of adapted educational
materials for the sight impaired between education authorities and higher
education establishments using the internet.

I work for Derbyshire County Council's Sight Impaired Service. I am based at
a Primary integrated facility. My work covers two broad categories, the
adaptation and production of educational materials for sight impaired
children, and the identification, setup and running of technical aids for
these children.

Around the country, huge amounts of material are adapted for the sight
impaired in education. This is being done in all sorts of ways, from peri
teachers taking Perkins' home in the evenings to prepare work for the next
day, to full desk top publishing systems adapted to produce tactile as well
as visual output.

Many different publishers' schemes are in use for the same subjects, within
counties as well as between them. Individually no authority or other
organisation can hope to adapt them all.

This message is being posted on the senco-forum and the dis-forum. If those
who subscribe to these forums and produce materials for the sight impaired
sent out a catalogue of materials they have available every three or six
months, a lot of duplication will be avoided.

The exchange of material could take place in several ways:

1) As hard copy; Braille, large print, graphics, graphics for minolta'ing
(we say it, but I've never had to spell it before) and vacuum formed
graphics.  If users did not have compatible software, hard copy exchanges
could be arranged between individuals.

2) As ASCII or ANSI text files. Almost any computer and software in
education could handle these.

3) As fully adapted computer files on disc (e.g an Ami Pro file containing
Corel Draw graphics) . This would require people to have the same software
at both ends.

There are actually several kinds of ASCII and ANSI, the most important
distinction being between files with hard returns at the end of every line
(not v. useful), and those with hard returns only at the end of paragraphs
(Much more useful).  Those who have the facility can save the text in the
format required by the end user. Several details like this will need to be
worked out between individuals once contact is made.

I would suggest that all transfers take place on the understanding that the
recipient must obtain copyright clearance from the publisher before using
the material.

If people are interested in this idea, please reply with any suggestions and
ideas. I'll send a list of Materials from Markeaton on request.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
&                                                                &
&  Adrian Farnsworth, County Resource Officer.                   &
&  Peter Lumley, Teacher-in-Charge.                              &
&  Sight Impaired Facility,                                      &
&  Markeaton Primary School,                                     &
&  Newtons Walk,                                                 &
&  Bromley Street,                                               &
&  Derby, DE22 1HL.                                              &
&                       Phone  01332 347374                      &
&                       Fax    01332 207265 (9.00 am to 3.30 pm) &
&                       e-mail [log in to unmask]              &