In article <[log in to unmask]>, Dr Alan Hassey
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>I never said this....We can gate-keep perfectly well by delegating care
>of minor illness to nurses - there is a growing literature to support
>this approach too. We can still maintain overall control - particularly
>for all referrals (emergency, urgent & routine). I have not made any
>proposal for delegating this - rather the opposite - I said we should
>concentrate in the areas where we are trained and particularly skilled
>history, examination, investigation, treatment (+- referral)

Alan, I was free associating a bit- not every thing I wrote was a direct
reply to your text.

I think that there are two problems with the above paragraph.

1. Defining minor illnes: most major illnesses begin with a 'minor'
symptom.

2. One of the areas in which experienced GPs are particularly skilled,
though perhaps not formally trained, is in deciding what is minor and
what is major.

I think you will have to educate a lot of doctors as well as the
patients and the nurses.

Paul

Paul Robinson
GP & Course Organiser