I too was saddened to read about the distress this family had obviously been
caused . The distress is partially generated by the fact that it is possible
for any doctor to be driven to the level of managing a patient as a workload
problem rather than as has already been described " a human in distress " .
Surely this is a burnout symptom and the practice has to address this as such
. I feel that we have to be constantly aware of the maximum workload we can
sustain and be brave enough to say enough is enough .
We certainly come under pressure from all angles to take on more workload ,
whether it is from secondary care , unrealistic patient expectations or
pressure groups .
Perhaps the answer is to redistribute this workload further . To stop trying
to keep one foot in the past and let some things go , so that we can take on
these new responsibilities safely . By this I mean that we should be able to
redistribute work throughout the primary health care team and not be afraid to
let go .
I for one still hope that the Primary Care led NHS will give us more room to
define our own futures , but in order to do so we must respond to the
challenge quickly before the powers that be act on our " behalf " once again .

Roy Wallworth ,  Accrington Lancs .