In message <[log in to unmask]> Peter Johnson wrote:

> I know life is tough at the moment. Trouble is, I've heard lots of similar
> stories recently, and I think the public sympathy for GP's is wearing very
> thin.

Lawyers seem to do OK without the public's sympathy.
(or is this a grass/greener scenario?)

I agree with other posters, in that the treatment would appear
to have been sub-optimal in this case (ie crap).

However, trying to be a little more pragmatic, I think that
the days of GPs bending over backwards for people are
long gone (or limited to isolated cases of GPs who are
overflowing with the milk of human kindness and would pay
someone for the privilege of doing the job etc).

However(2), I can't imagine what happened to the GPs'
sense of professional courtesy.

A sorry mess, indeed. A mess which, I don't think, the
profession can sort out in isolation. Affirmations may
work for some, but I don't think they can work for a
profession of 35,000 souls who all think that general
practice means something different. Simply saying "pull up
your socks" isn't going to make much difference.