Tom:

> Why are the addresses thus ?

Thank you for the compliment comrade in arms!

The reason the addresses are thus is probably because the way each
user configures their mailer.

The message itself comes from mailbase,  so the header will show that
but in the "to" field.

If you configure the "from" field and instruct the mailer to use
that as the SMTP "envelope",  that address will show in the header as
the "from" field.  Hence you see my name as the "from" field (a great
believer in openness and not having anything to hide!).

If you configure it to report a "reply to" or "return to" a particular
address,  this will appear in the message header in the 2reply to"
field.  If you don't specify a reply to address in your configuration,
 the mailer will default to the gp-uk address whence the message has
come from.  This sometimes leads to confusion when you receive a
message with the original sender's address specified as the reply to
one. When you hit the "reply" button,  the mailer will address it to the
address indicated above and not to gp-uk!

I used to have different configs for different purposes but it got a
bit too complex.  Now,  I just set my name as the "from" SMTP envelope
and my email as the "reply to" field.

The advice is:  when you hit the "reply" button,  always check the
"to" field in the new message window that appears.

I hope I managed to confuse you thoroughly!

Ahmad
Dr Ahmad Risk
The Medical NetNoire