In article <[log in to unmask]>, Rob Tweed
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I'm sorry but this is nonsense.  I'm not even going to say any more
>than that !

If you can get all of this designed, fully tested and implemented along
with the necessary changes to GP systems within the next 3-6 months -
all at a reasonable cost - then please go ahead so we can all benefit,
and some of us can stop wasting our time working to implement 'obsolete
solutions'.

Meanwhile, we have a legacy of aging systems that have limited potential
but sadly will probably continue to exist for at least several years.
We cannot overnight simply switch to Web based records.   Quite apart
from hardware / software issues there is a whole range of problems to
resolve that are more or less independent of the technology.  If we want
to improve communications NOW with what is CURRENTLY available then we
have to work with solutions that work with what is currently there.

By the time web based records really do become practicable and start to
be implemented it is quite likely that Ahmad, (or one of his descendants
depending on timescales), will be using the same arguments about
obsolete technology and strategic mistakes to justify using some even
newer and apparently better solution.

We know that we can make clinical EDI work in a limited way right now -
why should we not make use of it and learn from the experience?
Meanwhile, let's also sort out what Web based records really can offer
and plan to implement something when we are sure what we want, and how
to do it (even if by that time we suspect it in turn will be supplanted
by something newer and better....)
--
John Williams, Senior User GP / Provider Links Project
Email: [log in to unmask]