Hi Jon

> In article <[log in to unmask]>, Bradley Cheek
> <[log in to unmask]> writes
> >That is really sad. How many gp-uk patrons are still bma members. If so, why?
>
> As the BMA and the GMSC are the only representative organisations for
> the medical profession in general and general practitioners in
> particular, resignation is akin to saying "I don't want a vote or a
> voice in decisions affecting my profession".  It clearly saves the
> doctor money, but decisions and recommendations made by the GMSC/BMA
> still affect all GPs.

The white paper gives us the power to organise ourselves.
can vote at the lmc or rcgp. Moreover, I can vote with my feet. I did :-)
The money isn't important to me, but I did want to make a stand (albeit feeble).

> The way in which GPs can influence LMCs, and the strong LMC/GMSC link,
> as well as direct links with GMSC members, makes it pretty democratic,
> and any failure in democracy is more related to lack of interest on
> behalf of the average GP.

Well I'm not a disinterested gp (nor am I average)

> I agree that the GMSC might attract people who "enjoy committees", but
> most seem motivated by a genuine desire to "improve the lot of GPs", and
> we need those sorts of people to discuss and negotiate, and "represent
> our views" with those who affect our future.

 I don't doubt the motivation of the bma leaders, just their results.

> The "Out of hours" deal has not suited everyone, but I am convinced that
> it has contributed to a significant improvement in the morale of GPs
> that I speak to.  There are problems still in rural areas, but the GMSC
> and the Govt have indicated that they are still open to ideas and
> suggestions.

eg white paper - but I'm still working hard at night (at the moment)
Just can't comprehend how those who provide a personal service for their patients now earn less while those who don't earn more!

> We should work together, using compromise rather than confrontation, to
> develop a strong system of General Practice within a primary care led
> NHS.

actually got a personal reply from Dr Bogle - which restated his case but did not address mine at all.
Our big problem is that the gp's do not stand together which is why the govt can divide and rule.

Thanks for your comments to this discussion. I obviously still feel quite sore about the whole thing. Two of my partners have been looking for other jobs because they are disillusioned.
It's probably a premorbid bereavement reaction.

--
 Bradley Cheek - [log in to unmask] (Well Close Square)
 http://www.wcsquare.demon.co.uk