At Chris's request to all (remotely!) interested EMIS users.

I think my problem was a corrupted file - probably Kermit itself. I had merely
copied the directory established by the EMIS provided disk onto a new computer
and the only differences of which I was aware was that the new one has a Cyrix
chip and the old one had a "Drivespaced" C:> (Apologies if that's an
inappropriate emoticon!)

I needed to get back on-line quickly and couldn't find the original disk that
EMIS supplied (FOC to any user that requests it although they only give you
instructions upon how to use it for terminal emulation in the surgery but the
extra bits for dialing in can be downloaded from the NUG BBS)

On David Gaguine's advice I downloaded a new Kermit 3.15 beta from the net and
edited the emis-pc.bat file to run <msk315 -F emis.ini> rather than <Kermit -F
emis.ini>

Hey presto - worked first time albeit with a few error messages like "?unknown
hardware on port" and "?word "mode" ambiguous" I've no doubt I will now be
tempted to tinker about trying to get rid of these little irritants and cock
the whole thing up again. Computers - dontcha just luv 'em!

Hoping this is helpful but more available on request.

Regards

Peter

P.S. Remember that you have to set up the Surgery computer to allow remote
access. It's password protected and using forced dial-back is highly
recommended. I think offhand you get there via PL on the CS menu but that's
only from memory.