In your message dated Sunday 14, July 1996 you wrote :
> Trefor wrote:

> >I thought that there was a computer algorithm written by someone from my part
> >of the world (Beighton, S. Yorks UK) that was a better predictor of acute
> >appendicits on history and examination than doctors... (snip)... the author
> was Professor De Dombal
>
> Don't know the algorithm, but I read a superb little book by De Dombal on
> abdominal pain. I can get the reference if someone is interested
> (McGraw-Hill, I think). I still remember that most emphasis was on history
> and physical, not on tests. I would like to know more about that algorithm!

As a HO who "had to" use the program I recall that it was based on a database of
history and clinical examination and used pattern-matching to reach a
probability for diagnosis. The more patient's details entered and their eventual
outcomes, the greater the ultimate probability towards a correct diagnosis.

Tim De Domabl (RIP sadly) indicated that he was working for NASA and the navy.
The program could be used by anybody as long as they followed the questions on
the form. As a busy HO it was easier to get the SHO to agree/disagree
with my diagnosis!

Dr David J PLews
[log in to unmask] (but not for much longer?)