I said:

> Safety and privacy are attriibutes of end systems, not of the network

Alan Hyslop asked:

> Does this mean we don't need point-to-point (line) encryption?

I don't see what good line encryption does unless you want to protect
your traffic patterns from analysis. Governments use this technology so
that other governments can't deduce, for example, a planned military
operation from a surge of military traffic.

If you are concerned mostly about preventing abuse of access by insiders,
it does no good at all. If you are worried about hackers, it does very
little good as they will attack your routers, your firewall and other
network assets at which line encryptors don't protect traffic.

So when you use encryption as a mechanism to support access control, it
really has to be end-to-end  and implemented at a higher level in the
protocol stack,

Ross