In a message dated 12/07/96  19:04:33, Armando writes:

>A hundred percent in agreement with this. The point is, the positive
>predictive value of a correct history and physical examination is still
>better than many tests, and most of the touchy gestures such as
>rectal/vaginal examinations may often alter our management.

I thought that there was a computer algorithm written by someone from my part
of the world (Beighton, S. Yorks UK) that was a better predictor of acute
appendicits on history and examination than doctors, does anyone know if the
computer programme asked for the result of rectal/vaginal examination ? If
not, why do we ever do them in acute appendicitis ( I would be prepared to
stand up in court and quote the  programme/protocol if I am correct. Anyone
who wants to look up the reference, the author was Professor De Dombal, I
don't have the details.)

Are you saying that history and simple physical examination are all one needs
and the intimate examination is irrelevant tothe decision to  refer? I would
agree with a comment on this thread that the result of the VE/PR in acute
abdominal pain is not going to influence management, if there is a chance
that it is an ectopic pregnancy, I would'nt do a VE to find out, if the
choice is between appendix and pelvic inflammatory disease then the appendix
wins (i.e. off to the surgeons and let them decide).

A question;

Intimate examinations in acute abdominal pain are the remit of secondary
care, if it's not acute then a chaparone can be arranged  - discuss

Trefor Roscoe                      Email; [log in to unmask]
Beighton Health Centre        Tel 0114 - 269 5061
Queens Road, Beighon        Fax 0114 - 269 7186
Sheffield S19 6BJ