In message <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] writes
> We are about to replace all our machines except the 486's and plan to
>replace them before 2000.
>
>The data entry fields in some GP systems are having difficulty because of the
>way the date is calculated. There is not room for anothe two variable bits of
>data in the field. The are dd-mm-yy not dd-mm-yyyy.
>We would like tomake appointments for followup vaccinations for after 2000
>(mainly HepB but some pre-school boosters from last month) but due to the
>dd-mm-yy problem the system Microdoc, will not allow it. We have been
>promised a fix after the hardware upgrade.

Dear GP-UK,
I'm now setting up my own in-practice Year 2000 project ..
Could anyone help with a few more general questions?

How do Health Authorities and the central register manage to deal with
patients born before 1900?
One of our patients died last year aged 104 .. and never appeared in our
2 year or preschool target lists..
If dates of birth such as 1898 can be handled, why can't the same
fix(whatever it is) be applied to 2001?

Are all Health Authorities using the same software, for registration and
also for calculating quarterly payements?

In the systems using a GUI (Vision and ?? Meditel 6000) how dependant is
the system on the version of windows? I don't have windows 95 - but I
keep hearing that , if you upgrade your windows, you have to upgrade the
other software running in windows as well. Is this true? - and if
so,does it apply necessarily to all windows software?

I've heard that "most" Pentium based PCs are 2000 compatible. Is this
true? How can one tell (without risking data by changing the date to
1.1.2000 .. )? Assuming that we may need to upgrade some hardware to
pentiums in the next 4 years, should we do it now - or wait a while
longer ... demand (and prices!) may rise close to the crucial date..

Mary

--
Mary Hawking
Kingsbury Court Surgery