Hello Peter

>  A GP colleague of mine (yes-really,I'm not involved!) has recently
> recieved a complaint the crux of which is the fact that,suspecting
> appendicitis,he performed a PR on a 19 year old girl without a
> chaperone.Oddly the complaint at this stage seems to be from her elder
> sister and not the patient.Puting to one side for the moment the wisdom
> of doing a PR under these circumstances(damned if you do,damned if you
> don't),how many of us actually make it a habit-that is for maale GPs-to
> haave a chaperone each time we do a PR or VE on our female patients?
> Logistics can be very difficult and I'd be very interested in a cross-
> section of opinions.
>                 Best wishes,
>                 Peter Glover
>                 Church View Surgery
>                 Rayleigh
>                 Essex
> --
> Peter Glover

For some years now I have not done an "intimate" examination in the surgery
without a practice nurse. I do not keep any equipment for these examinations
in my comfortable sitting-room like consulting room, but take them to the
much more utilitarian treatment room.

If you ask me why, it is probably just that I feel uncomfortable - even
though the evidence suggests that most complaints come from accidental and
innocent manoveures eg brushing against a patient's chest while putting on a
bp cuff. I think it probably makes the patients more comfortable to have a
chaperone, too (though I've never asked them)
--
 Bradley Cheek - [log in to unmask] (Well close Square)

 Connecting via Demon Internet Ltd