I'd like to thank Andy Frost from BT for being honest
enough to answer our questions on the NHSnet.
I don't agree with all he said - but this is exactly the
sort of dialogue we should have.

So thanks Mr. Frost.

Down to the nitty-gritty.
On point 7, which is something we have a legitimate interest in,
my boss told me to find out more about this and get a definite statement.

> 7. We were always under the impression that it was forbidden to connect our
> Trust network to anything other than NHSnet.

> -- The rules are different for NHS and non-NHS organisations. My
> understanding is that Trusts can have other connections but must pass a
> security audit (ie., be firewalled with appropriate policy). I suggest that
> you contact the NHSE Telecoms Branch for more information rather than listen
> to hearsay.

I phoned the NHS Executive, using the number 0113 254 5000
from the PDF document on the Open Government Web site
http://www.open.gov.uk/doh
The person on the switchboard, when asked for the number  of the
NHS Executive Telecommunications Branch, said (I quote)
"Never heard of it"

Can someone supply me with a telephone number, or better still an email address?

An X.500 search on the NHS (X.500 is an international standard  directory
service) came up with the name of Chris Rudd, but I cannot figure out
how to get it to list any more NHS email addresses. Ideas?

John Hearns