In message <[log in to unmask]>, Iain L M
Hotchkies <[log in to unmask]> writes
>DoH figures for 95/96 show a 6.5% increase in the number of
>hospital treatments over the previous years, and a 20% increase
>over the previous four years.
>
>This allows HMG to witter on about the NHS treating more patients
>than ever before.
>
>Needless to say, such glowing statements rarely tally with the
>experience of workers at the frontline.
>
>I believe that those with suitable means are turning increasingly
>to private healthcare, believing (understandably) that the NHS
>is turning into a service for emergencies and those who cannot
>afford private medicine.
>
>Does anyone have easy access to any figures on private medicine?
>I'd be interested in similar figures to those above, except in
>realtion to private healthcare: eg percentage increase year on
>year.

The health insurance companies - with their talk of "rationing" GPs in
the number of private patients they can refer - seem to be worried.
Is there as rise in the proportion of patients with private insurance
refered, an increase in the cost of each referal - or just a need to
increase dividends in a competative market?
Mary

--
Mary Hawking
Kingsbury Court Surgery