> Any, none, few ?  What are the general views on the security issues
> of this ?

Not this one!

> 1.Patient data theoretically available to a determined hacker.  This
> always strikes me as unlikely as if IP address is allocated
> dynamically how will they find us ?

Dead easy.  There is a number of programs that will post your dynamic
IP address to all and sundry.  All available free on the net!
The chat programs use similar technology all the time.

> Also, if the database is on a file server and the LAN is run with
> Novell - this needs to be specifically gated to TCP/IP I hear, so
> this should prevent access - or at least hinder it.  Are these fair
> enough points ?

Nop.

> 2.The digital virus risk.  If we protect our workstations and server
> with, say, Dr Solomons, would this be adequate ?

I would prefer McAfee.  It gets updated every month.

> 3. Also, what if we want to access BBSs such as PryMarie and others
> - would this be considered safe enough.

Nop!

> I know NHS.net will allow managed access to the net through
> appropriate firewalls, but we cannot wait for that.  What I want to
> know is what is the general view on whether the risk of connecting
> these PCs is small enough to be *acceptable* or is it really too
> risky ?

Too risky with what you envisage to do.  If it is absolutely
essential that you connect,  consider a firewall yourself.

Al-Hakim

Ahmad Risk MB BCh
home: +44 1273 688121
work: +44 1737 240022