In article <[log in to unmask]>, Tim Walter
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>In message <[log in to unmask]>, Paul Robinson
><[log in to unmask]> writes
>>I work in a practice which uses EMIS.
>>
>>We are moving towards "paper free" records and our next step is to put
>>incoming hospital letters on to the system. We think that scanning will
>>probably be better than copy typing, but we are unsure about the
>>possible benefits of editing the letters down as we put them on the
>>system, what part of the EMIS record we should use to store them, and
>>what quality/specification of hard ware would be most appropriate.

Go for a scanner with a document feeder and the fastest pentium you can
afford with scs1 connection. We have been using an Apple Power Mac with
an Epson scanner for two years. Using macros the cutting and pasting
process involves 3 keystrokes all you have to do is choose the patient
and give the document a name. The whole thing is very easy and a similar
process can be done using a pentium on a PC.

There are however buffer problems that have been encountered on the PC
side when using Procomm Plus for Windows the terminal emulator. There
will be a workshop on Scanning at the 3rd EMIS National User Group
Conference where there should be a chance to see three systems up and
running ie.

1.      The Keyboard scanner
2.      The PC scanning system
3.      The Apple MAc system
4.      ??EMIS developments

>There is quite a comprehensive file describing this on the Emis BBS
>which appeared quite recently, however when I looked at the technique
>they propose it seems a little clumsy, perhaps easier in practice than
>they appear to make it.  However, we propose to start next month with
>slightly higher spec equipment ie with HP Scanjet 4p with paperfeeder,
>costing approx ukp800 total with Pentium etc linked with Emis.

I have not seen what's on the BBS but I presume that this is Paul
Bromleys article on using the HP scanjet. Please refer to above

--
Manpreet Pujara