> I happen to believe that the Dutch government might be in favor of the above.
> They see a possible way for the use of smart-cards where patients use it as
> a copy of the place-holders to systems where information about them is
> stored AND use it to control the access control lists.
>
> But..
> things will work out only if a substantial effort has been put into the
> generation of the Information Infrastructure.

I am not so convinced about the security of smartcards as the people who
sell them appear to be. See www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rja14/tamper.html for how
to break them. Optical cards might be more suitable for patient-held records.

However, we do have a couple of people now funded to work here on the
infrastructure issues. Vaclav Matyas ([log in to unmask]) is designing
a system to certify clinicians' public keys, and Fabien Petitcolas
([log in to unmask]) is looking at web-based records. Interested
parties should get in touch with them.

Maybe next year we can have a Europe-wide project to put togther a
transnational system,

Ross