In message <[log in to unmask]> Dr Toby Lipman writes:

 > Surprisingly, the computer was OK apart from the fact that there
 > is a password protected virus scanner which I can't disable and
 > is preventing me installing Windows 95 and one or two niggling
 > things.

Do you mean that there is virus protection in the BIOS, and you
don't know the password for it, or some other sort of virus
protection?

If the former (and if you dare to tinker after your recent
experiences!) then you can usually disable bios passwords. There are
some default passwords e.g. AMI for AMI bios. Or you can usually
disable all your bios settings with a motherboard jumper (make sure
that you make a note of all the settings before you do this!
especially the hard disk type/heads/cyl/sect as you will need to
restore these afterwards).

--
Simon Child
GP