In message <[log in to unmask]>, Tom James
<[log in to unmask]> writes
snip
> I would like to hear some resononses about how you share the
>admin and other non-clinicial work about.  Some paid, some unpaid, some by
>salaried assistants, some by profit-sharing partners.
>
>examples of aforementioned bumpf:
>[Health Authority liaison, GP liaison group, obstetric review committee,
>quality assurance plans, industrial or local government meetings.  Contining
>medical education organiser, contracts, job descriptions of employed staff.
>Negotiating Contracts with purchasing authorities.  And the list goes on and
>on as you're all aware. ]

snip
>We have found that there is disparity between the doctors with the amount of
>time spent on administrative work.   Mainly through the willingness of the
>individuals concerned to take on these duties.
snip

>How do **you** equitably divvy out the admin and general non clinical work?
>I'd be most interested to hear any solutions.

So would I! I've tried different methods - they all seem to end up with
either I do it - or it doesn't get done!
First we divided administration into "necessary for the practice" and
"outside practice": my partners decided, unanimously, that anything that
was not *directly* related to practice income, I could do in my own time
-  if I wanted to. (I'm expecting a change since one of my partners is
aquiring an interest in politics...)
We agreed that , within the practice, different partners should be
responsible for different functions - I'm now the senior partner -
and,as before, do finance,general management, and everything nobody else
wants to do; the next partner is in charge of buildings and the practice
agreement; another partner deals with staff; another with audit and
publicity. We have just had a partnership change (senior partner retired
and come back part time,and a new part-time partner) I'm hoping to get
our new partner involved with something.
The problem is that the partners not involved in administration are not
prepared to allow any protected time to those partners who need it - and
sometimes you do need to be able to schedule work!
Another problem lies in the things that,as we are *not* fundholding ,
cannot be counted as being *directly* related to practice income -
liason with the Health Authority, locality planning, LMC(not me - my
partner!), BMA (me), conferences and meetings. Even if you are funded
for a locum, that doesn't cover the paperwork.
As I say, I'm very interested , too!;->
Mary
PS it sounds as though,however different the systems may be, the
committees and paperwork remain much the same...

--
Mary Hawking
Kingsbury Court Surgery