In message <[log in to unmask]>, "Graeme O. Churchard."
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>What is the most appropriate treatment for osteoporosis in a male in his
>fifties, apart from stopping smoking and lowering his alcohol intake?

I take it that your patient does *not* have any other problem?
steroids,malabsorption,liver failure,hypogonadism?
Etidronate and calcium is licensed for vertebral osteoporosis, and
Fosamax for both vertebral and femoral neck - but only in post-
menopausal women. Would using Fosamax need to be by a reputable expert
on a named patient basis?
I take it you've already increased his calcium intake, and forced him
into regular,suitable exercise?
If you find a suitable treatment, please share it with GP UK - I've got
a few patients like this, too!

>I've just joined gp-uk. Is this an appropriate question for the general
>forum?
Yes!
>If not can anyone suggest how to access relevant groups for this or
>other specific topics.

You could try the medical section of the National Osteoporosis Society..
Mary

--
Mary Hawking
Kingsbury Court Surgery