On 05 Sep 96 Alan Cooper wrote:

>GS is big and slow even on my 8MB 75Hz Pentium - an expert told me it was
>because postscript is a full functional document language - you only have to
>look at the size of .ps files to see that.
>
>I find that it thrashes the hard disk (probably the windows swap file) and has
>periods of quiet processing. Clicking with the mouse will usually mean even
>longer waits when GS eventually gets round to processing these extra mouse
>clips.

GSview/Postscript are quite demanding, but I suspect the problem you
have is
hardware limited - any graphically-based system will have a few problem
in 8MB,
even under Win3.1 (and as Postscript is a page-description language, it
has to
be considered as a graphics programme).  It is not that it is
interpreted.

My experience with a later version (4.01) under OS/2 (this does help) on
a 75MHz/
32MB machine (I bit the bullet, and it was well worth it!)  is that it
flies:  a document
comes up in about 5-6 seconds, and paging/resizing takes a second or
less. So don't
be put off too much.

Andrzej Glowinski