I detest fundholding but, I admit freely, this is more to
do with the fact that I simply can't be bothered with it
than for any other reason.

However, it occurred to me (while walking the dog, which is
when all STONKING ideas occur to me) that fundholding should
be extended to its logical conclusion.

This occurred to me after reading about all the problems
with cash-strapped HAs and overspent fundoholders. This is
just what HMG wants, isn't it? Transfer the responsibility
from central gov to us but still control the total amount
of cash in the system.

Anyway, my idea is to make every citizen a fundholder.
Allocate so much a year to each person - add your personal
weighting system to take account of illnesses, age,
whatever.

We could make it a virtual account, smart cards, whatever
you like to keep the tekkie-medics happy. Everytime someone
wants something (consultation, operation, prescription,
bp check) their account is debited. People can top of their
accounts with their own cash should they so wish.

Sounds a bit like health insurance, doesn't it? But, but, but
if someone runs out of cash then THAT'S IT!!! hahaha Too bad.
You should have managed your funds more carefully. Relieve the
stress for us. Not.

Think it will work?

I'll be walking the dog again this evening. I wonder what
spiffing wheeze will occur to me then.