> From:          Mary Hawking <[log in to unmask]>
> could I butt in on this thread?
> My interest in coding arose from a code conversion(Read code 4 byte to 5
> byte set), which caused my practice certain problems - so my *major*
> interest lies with code conversions and the problem of historical data -
> and the implications of this.
> As far as I can see, there is a lot of expertise in different coding
> systems, but the only system everyone has to relate to is ICD (9 and
> 10.)
> Is there anyone out there who understands both Read - the system I work
> in - *and* *all* the other systems in use in other countries/systems/
> etc..?

Can I guess at an answer of probably.

> If there is, please,please tell me -  *Is* it possible to gather
> information in one system and convert it (100% accurately!) to another?

Another guess Mary, probably not.

> if not,why not?(after all, we are all recording roughly the same
> information,aren't we?

My opinion: Yes and no.
 I think the information we all collect even within a
group of co-operating Drs is all different. I think the diseases and
clinical findings are roughly the same but the individual Drs
interpret things in their own idiosyncratic way, even within the same
Code system. Witness the myriad different ways to code for depressive
illness in the Read Code system. Now think how to map all those codes
and the diversity they purport to represent into another Code system.
How could you infer the same clinical meaning from each of these
different codes in Read and expect a mirror image Code in *Joe Bloggs
Clinical Coding System* - I think I will patent that name.

>and how much does it matter( I mean.. why do we
> code information in the first place? Is it for statistics and returns? )

IMHO the use of codes should benefit patients first and foremost.
How? My examples of IT helping patients all relate to call and recall
systems and drug databases, not anything requiring fancy integrated
systems and Read Codes, anyone with any suggestions?

> *I* want to use it in a cradle-to-grave type record .. but is this due
> to working in the NHS where this is expected?
> I think I've seen (under a different thread) the implication that the
> only important thing is the current illness/episode..
> I know why I need coding

Why?

> (and until someone convinces me otherwise ,I
> actually quite *like* Read .. at anyrate more than The Book on ICPS!) -
> but .. am I the odd one out? :->

I like it too.

Regards,
Neil Hopkinson