In a message dated 15/08/96  02:50:05,  Jon Wilcox writes:

>Perhaps we should allow
>our imperfections to be quoted far and wide - it may make the job
>(sorry, challenge) of the legal opportunists more difficult.

What an interesting point this raises.

The test of negligence that is required for all cases( in the UK) is
enshrined in Whitehouse v Jordan. A doctor only has to be as good as the
average doctor of his training and experience, we don't all have to be
perfect. The problem in court seems to be establishing reasonable average
practice. There will always be opposing views, and the court has to decide
which, on the balance of probabilities, is the average. (Alert correct me if
I am wrong about the case law).

The widespread publication, unrelated to particular cases, of the view of the
average GP for a variety of circumstances, would only help establish what is
the norm. I'm game if everyone else is.

Indeed, if Graham Ross is interested in finding out how imperfect the world
(see previous posting) is and how compex our job is, perhaps he would like to
spend some time with one of us, to see the scale of the problem.

Trefor Roscoe                      Email; [log in to unmask]
Beighton Health Centre        Tel 0114 - 269 5061
Queens Road, Beighon        Fax 0114 - 269 7186
Sheffield S19 6BJ

P.S.  I'm on holiday for a week after today so I suggest this to be
provocative to see what sort of debate might result. "see" you all on the
24th.