Gerard raises some questions.  I am neither a GP nor a supplier, just
an ex-provider of services to a sizeable user base, but I would like
to give my answers to some of Gerards questions.

> The following is for your food for thought, good health, and good night rest.
>
> What's on or in our systems we don't know about?

Your systems should be specified by you as a group, preferably with
proper help from trustworthy professionals (there are such.  BCS
members are required to undertake to act in a responsible and ethical
way, a bit like GPs).  The specification can perfectly well say what
is NOT to be in the system, such as background activities which glean
information about wither you or your patients.

> What's in our systems provided by the providers on what we prescribe or manage?
See above

> Is it safe to have others write systems for us?
Of course it is!  You don't build your own cars etc .  You have not
been trained to write systems.  Put your skills where they matter,
into deciding what you and your patients need and then want, and make
sure you get it.  If that means bringing in other professions (eg a
lawyer to  help you write a water-tight contract) then do so.  Don't
waste your time doing things that others can do for you.

> Shouldn't we GP's do it our selves?
For God's sake 'NO'?  Again, see above.

> Instead of relying on the benevolence of the esteemed providers.
If you rely on they providers benevolence, then you will get what you
deserve.  The suppliers are in business to earn a living.  They have
(or should have!) teams of employees with proper skills and training,
and deserve to be suiatably rewarded for their work.  To do their
work properly the suppliers need an AGREED sepcification of what the
system(s) are to do, how these systems will intercommunicate and so
on.  This specification is an adjunct to a suitable contract (and I
mean a proper contract, not a one-sided thing, or a lot of
conversations that nobody ever recorded) and this contract is
enforceable by both parties.

Mike Wells

Professor Mike Wells
Department of Physics,    The University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT,            United Kingdom
Phone: 0113-233-2339      E-Mail   [log in to unmask]