In message <[log in to unmask]> Andrew Herd wrote:

> Now Hotch, careful. We can't have two of us hopping at the same time. I
> thought we had agreed that only one or the other of us would be
> unreasonable at once?

hehehe

Seriously, [fx: *clunk*, as everyone falls off their chairs],
I think the main problem with lurking lawyers has been touched
on elsewhere.

*We* have always (mostly) and still do (some of the time) attempt
to resolve conflict with mediation. Look at all the advice over
the last year re in-house complaints procedures. Get the people
in, sit down around the table, hammer out the grievances.

There's usually "fault" on both sides and this can usually be
resolved amicably without resorting to the courts (of whatever
kind).

Did any of you watch the penultimate episode of "Murder One"
last Tuesday? There was a scene where a Mafia boss meets the
head lawyer (Ted). A lovely example of a conversation where
neither party lost any 'face'.

Whenever a lawyer becomes involved in an issue, the question
of money rears its ugly head. And this does tend to skew the
problem.

I don't mind lurking lawyers, although I think I will have to
watch what I type a *little* more carefully. The lawyers I
know are all nice, decent people. Perhaps it is just when they
are acting in a professional capacity (or en masse) that they
are not so pleasant. (remind you of any other type of
professional?)

Ho hum.