We are currently reducing our paper content in our practice and
increasing our electronic records, currently I use the computer for all
consultations with Lloyd George records for letters etc that come in.

My partner is very anxious about the risk of fire theft power failure
etc to such an extent that she will veto any further progress towards
paperless status until this is sorted, not totally unreasonably.

Does anyone have any working solutions to the maintainance of normal
service in these circumstances.  We do all the proper stuff of backing
up nightly etc for the return of service for 1-2weeks time but what
about the following mornings repeat prescriptons etc, recent paperless
consultations etc.

My proposed solution is that we "print" a modified patient summary for
all our patients (13500) into a file, which can then be archived onto a
DAT tape and transferred to a Laptop as a txt file readable in any
wordprocessor or spreadsheet program searchable by computer number name
etc.  It would effectively be "read only" as far as the records go, but
at least would keep us in the picture in all eventualities.  ( It can be
kept offsite at night and is power independent etc in case of theft or
power cut respectively )

Does anyone do this, have any comments or has tried and failed, or can
it be done easier by another method which would satisfy my partner.

PS we have laptop DAT drive etc already so not starting from scratch...

PPS Using Emis
--
Tim Walter
GP and Medical Manager Newdocs Ltd. West Berks.