[log in to unmask] writes
>I think the classification of student and unemployed outside occupation
>codes is a great mistake.

One could say the same about "housewife".  The reason is nothing to do
with read, but the OPCS terms associated with employment, which form the
chapter "0" hierarchy.

>It is also one which has been perpetuated since before H Pylori gastritis
>was added in two chapters, A and J, so any argument that it is to avoid
>duplication would be invalid.

Version 3 removes duplication (creates other problems, but worth
tackling!)

>I suspect a political agenda.  The system implementation is
>straightforward, and limits choice of code in occupation field to the
>occupations chapter.  How else would one do it?

Our GP system allows us to enter Housewife, student and unemployed on
the Employment page.  You are expecting two things from the same
hierarchy.  The purpose of the Occupations hierarchy was to show OPCS
Employment terms.  Your purpose is to record the employment status.
This is one of the reasons that Version 3 allows differing hierarchies.
In this instant you would want a hierarchy of all the terms that are
associated with employment.

>with OPCS prevents simple comparisons of morbididty according to
>unemployment or suffering on student grants.

Possibly.  Can't you define four groups.. "unemployed", "in employment",
"student" and "unknown" for your analyses.  I agree it would be easier
if all the codes started with "0".

>It is also highly unlogical.

Er not to me, sad person that I am!

>The Read system is very unresponsive, and that is were effort should be
>concentrated rather than on new codes per se.

The Read structure for Version 2 and before is not very flexible, and
doesn't actually deliver all that we will need over the next few years.
I agree that too little effort has been put into supporting Version 2
and earlier sets, but there are efforts to address that.

Adrian, would you be interested in joining the GP SWG?!  Meets every 6-8
weeks on Tuesday afternoon in Loughborough, plus various e-mails, paper,
discs and CDs to browse and comment on.  NHSCCC only meet locum and
travel expenses I am afraid, but clearly you have a passion!

--
Jon Rogers                                    Tel: 44 117 950 7100
Southmead Health Centre                       Fax: 44 117 944 5498