In message <[log in to unmask]> Trefor wrote:

> In a message dated 02/07/96  16:19:51, Hotch wrote:
>
> >(Coincidentally, I have always been impressed by how easily cats and
> >dogs vomit - there they are, walking along, then, suddenly, wooomph!
> >- bit like children, really)
>
> I am not that interested in my phone bill and my hard disc being used up by
> musings on vomiting children and animals!

Erk! Can't think of a sensible reply to that, bearing in mind the
size of the message and the tiny cost involved, unless it's the
*principle* under discussion.

> Surely there is a newsgroup  (alt.pets.vomit or alt.vomit.watch????) for this
> sort of thing.

There are, and I have also posted the query to these, but there are
reasons for posting the message to GP-UK.

> I know some of the threads are a bit tangential to general practice but
> pleeease!

1) It is difficult enough on many newsgroups to get sensible
   replies to serious questions. [fx: holds up hands]
   I thought that GP-UKers might know something that would
   help.

2) It is possible that the post might generate some interesting
   sub-threads: other stories about sick pets, the interface
   between veterinary & human medicine, the fact that dogs
   (like ours) can be put on human doses of some antibiotics
   (eg metronidazole 400mg tds) without ill effects while an
   aspirin can kill a cat (or something like that), how we
   feel happy about putting down animals to put them out of
   their misery yet agonise in all media about euthanasia,
   etc.

3) I 'know' many regular posters on GP-UK and would trust, in
   general, their advice. I cannot say the same for many of
   the newsgroups out on which I hang.

4) I think that's enough justification. I'm sorry if I have
   offended you or your wallet. Send me a second-class stamp
   and I'll put a penny in the post for you.

5) :-)

6) Why am I always apologising?

7) Number six was a rhetorical question, OK?