In a message dated 31/07/96  21:26:43, Armando writes:

>And if it is so, what's the use?
>Just doubts. Enlighten me, please.

I always thought the main point about read codes was their compactness and
searchability. I quite like them, we use them for recording specific areas
(e.g. vaccinations, cardiovascular risk factors) of the patients history. The
way that our system searches and stores them allows for easy access to groups
of patients with multiple risk factors, for instance. This has been useful
but only in a limited way to find out numbers.  Once all the patient
histories going back at least 45 years have been put on we will have a
searchable data base of enormous complexity. The use of the codes for
describing every single consultation is bound to result in many vague terms
being used repeatedly, because this accurately describes the way we work,
IMHO concise definate diagnosis is uncommon in GP.

Trefor Roscoe                      Email; [log in to unmask]
Beighton Health Centre        Tel 0114 - 269 5061
Queens Road, Beighon        Fax 0114 - 269 7186
Sheffield S19 6BJ