Many Many years ago I was studying Physics at university. One
lecturer would enter the room and immediately begin to write up very
smart notes to the board, which he read out as he did so. The set
book for the course was owned by several of us and it soon became
realised that all he had done was copy to sheets of paper, whole
chapters of the book.

One day an entire row of students had their copies of Jenkins and
White open on their knees and when he was fully in his stride they
began to intone, in unison, with him the contents of his "lecture".
First he paused while the penny dropped, then he turned and made an
emphatic Churchill victory sign- though his hand was back to front,
and then walked out. Later we were told off by the Prof for rowdy
behaviour. His conduct was not even questioned.

Is it possible that the real reason some staff do not want their
notes taped is not that they may be plagiarized but that they have
already got there first.

PS there was another occasion when the acoustics lecturer smugly
announced that he had designed the acoustics of the lecture theatre
we were in, and the whole class said "pardon?". Those were the days.

Dave Laycock MBE

Head of CCPD, Chair of NFAC
Computer Centre for People with Disabilities
University of Westminster
72 Great Portland Street
London W1N 5AL

tel. 0171-911-5161