Lena,

The field of fmri statistical analysis is a bit controversial, so you may
get replies that disagree with mine, but here goes!

I think the reviewer is concerned that you are selectively reporting the
most active part of the cluster by limiting the analysis to the data
surrounding the peak voxel. That introduces bias into the results. Lots of
early fmri papers did this, and people are more careful about it now.

Strictly speaking, decisions about analysis should be made before the data
is acquired, i.e. the statistical threshold that will be used, and the
regions of interest that will be analyzed.

Two methods that avoid bias are:

1) choosing the spherical region (or regions) for analysis before you look
at the data, based on previous publications.

2) run two identical tasks on each patient, and use one of the datasets, at
a chosen statistical threshold, to generate masks that are then used to
limit the analysis of the second set of data.

The data-generated mask can also be combined with a previously-chosen
anatomic mask so that you analyze the most active part of the chosen
anatomic mask. This way the experiment itself limits the region of
interest, so there is no operator bias.

Hope this helps!

Jim