From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 17 March 2024 08:50
To: Zeidman, Peter <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: [SPM] What is the DCM.U.idx parameter for?

Hi Peter,

Thank you!

Initially, I thought I understood the logic behind the numbers in the DCM.U.idx generated by the DCM GUI. The matrix looked like this:

DCM.U.idx=[1 1

                    2 1

                    3 1

                    4 1]

I interpreted it as follows: the first column ranging from 1 to 4 corresponds to the four experimental conditions, and the second column consists entirely of ones.

Based on this understanding, I defined all DCMs in my code using the same idx matrix.  Namely, I applied this matrix to DCM.U.idx in all subjects' DCM files.

However, I later discovered that the DCM GUI generates the DCM.U.idx for another DCM (including parametric modulation regressors) in this format:

DCM.U.idx=[1 1

                    1 2

                    1 3

                    1 4]

This discrepancy has left me uncertain whether my approach of defining the same matrix for all subjects' DCM.U.idx was incorrect.

Would defining the DCM.U.idx matrix incorrectly in the code have a significant impact on the results?

Cheers, Luna

12 Mar 2024, 18:07 by [log in to unmask]:

Hi Luna

This is nothing to worry about. If I remember correctly, I added that field to help with specifying DCMs using the batch editor. Its omission won’t alter your results.

Best

Peter