From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Emma Dempsey <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 5, 2024 2:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Measuring the Impact of Academic Skills Intervention

Hi everyone,

I'm an Academic Learning Developer (within the Library) at the University of Westminster, and I'm currently working on a project, as part of our EDI policy, to reduce the continuation gaps (awarding gaps) amongst students with protected characteristics. As such, I'd be very interested to know if any of your organisations have ever implemented any processes for measuring the impact of your Academic Learning Development teams' interventions on all students and more specifically on those with protected characteristics. In this case, I refer to all academic skills support areas, including academic writing, effective reading, presenting, research skills and referencing, for example.

Historically, it's always been challenging to measure the impact of academic skills interventions systematically and at a university-wide level. Also, defining how we measure impact is a primary challenge.

If you have any information regarding the above or know anyone else, within or outside your institution, who might be able to help, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to any thoughts on the above.

Warmest wishes,
Emma

Emma Dempsey MA, PGCE, FHEA
Academic Engagement and Development Manager (Teaching)
Library and Archive Services
University of Westminster

My working days are Monday to Thursday inclusive

The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by guarantee. Registration number: 977818 England. Registered Office: 309 Regent Street, London W1B 2HW.

This message and its attachments are private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and remove it and its attachments from your system.