***apologies for cross postings***

We are thrilled to be co-producing the CILIP Copyright Conference: New Horizons – Attack the Bots, on 23 May 2024, which I’ll be chairing. Our line-up of brilliant speakers has now been confirmed and you can still purchase Early Bird tickets until end of 31 March 2024. Details below including how to register your place.

With my best wishes and hope to see you there

Naomi

Join us at CILIP Copyright Conference  |  View in browser

Explore the impact of AI on the copyright landscape

We're truly excited about the programme for this year's Copyright Conference,
returning online on 23 May. With a headline theme of New Horizons: Attack of the Bots, the programme explores the impact of emerging technology on the copyright landscape, covering everything from AI and eBooks through to the impact of AI on academic research.

PLUS we're featuring a whole section of talks exploring how to increase copyright literacy within our own organisations, from implementing copyright literacy strategies through to the creation of copyright handbooks.

 Join us to develop your practice in this crucial area!

(Hurry! Offer ends 31 March)

Session in Focus

Image of a creative practitioner writing

Navigating Ownership of AI Creations in Libraries

Speaker: Sofia Carroll
Information Governance Manager, Naomi Korn Associates

Image of session speaker, Margaret Haig

This session will explore how libraries can manage copyright attributions where AI has produced the work in question. The talk will cover issues around ownership, AI’s legal status and suggest a code of practice for libraries to accommodate AI-generated content in their resources.

The talk will explain the current legal difficulties of treating AI as a content owner for the purposes of copyright law. This will be done with reference to the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, which is clear that the owner is a ‘person’, and with reference to a recent case about patent ownership as a general intellectual property example. It will lay out an idea about AI having its own legal personality like companies, to expand attendee's knowledge about the possibilities of accommodating AI into the current legal framework.

A suggested code of practice or policy to accommodate AI-created work can include: definition, ownership, attribution, awareness and transparency, recommended use.

The focus on ownership is key and to remain complaint, professionals ought to go behind the AI mind to determine the real author with as much certainty as possible. Regarding attribution, they can credit the AI tool, platform, developer and human involved, if at all. The organisation should also be transparent, create and signpost new sections in their libraries specifically for AI. Finally, the code can highlight beneficial use to the library’s user base and describe that work to all staff, so it can be prioritised for review and referencing.

As an example, the presentation will include an academic paper written by ChatGPT with user prompts: Perlman, Andrew, The Implications of ChatGPT for Legal Services and Society (December 5, 2022). Suffolk University Law School Research Paper No. 22-14

Programme Highlights

Keynote: AI, IP and ethics in the context of black heritage creators'
Speaker: Pawlet Brookes
Founder, CEO and Artistic Director, Serendipity Institute for Black Arts and Heritage

Image of session speaker, Dr Smita Kheria

The practical impact of AI on academic research
Speaker: Matthew Lambert
Head of Copyright, Policy and Assurance, British Library

Image of session speaker, Ben White

AI in the UK heritage sector
Speaker: Dr Mathilde Pavis

Legal Consultant, Pavis Consultancy

Image of session speaker, Ben White

AI & eBooks: A copyright conundrum - from creation to consumption

Speaker: Caroline Ball
Academic Librarian, University of Derby

Image of session speaker, Matthew Lambert

CLA licensing & technology updates

Speaker: James Bennett
Head of Rightsholder Relations, Copyright Licensing Agency

Image of session speaker, Matthew Lambert

Lightning Talk | How do we achieve success as solo librarians?

Speaker: Lucy Roper
Information Governance Manager, UCEM

Image of session speaker, Matthew Lambert

Lightning Talk | Copyright guides: Targeted copyright literacy
Speaker: Cristina Rusu
Copyright and Licensing Manager, Loughborough University

Image of session speaker, Matthew Lambert

Lightning Talk | Navigating ownership of AI creations in libraries
Speaker: Sofia Carroll
Information Governance Manager, Naomi Korn Associates

Image of session speaker, Matthew Lambert

Panel Discussion | New Horizons: Attack of the Bots
Chair: Naomi Korn
CEO, Naomi Korn Associates

Image of session speaker, Matthew Lambert

Copyright Conference 2023, Thursday 23 May, online via Zoom.

Delivered in partnership with Naomi Korn Associates.

(Hurry! Offer ends 31 March)

MORE EVENTS IN 2024

Compare products at Supplier Showcase

Compare suppliers and enjoy drinks and networking at our popular buying and browsing event

Looking to explore options for your next procurement cycle? We are delighted to announce the return of our popular Supplier Showcase event, taking place this year in a stunning new venue - the grade II* listed 113 Chancery Lane in central London.

This one-day event gives you the opportunity to meet a number of suppliers all under one roof in a relaxed, non-sales environment - to compare products, book 1.1 meetings and discuss your organisation's requirements. We're serving coffee and pastries to accompany breakfast meetings in the morning and offering a drinks reception to close the event - to offer valuable networking time with the leading suppliers in our sector.

CILIP Supplier Showcase 2024, Wednesday 1 May
The Law Society, 113 Chancery Lane, London

Copyright Essentials
Summer 2024

This fundamental two-part online workshop is for anybody who needs an introduction to the basic copyright principles and/or is reproducing, creating, sharing, publishing, commissioning or digitising content.

It is designed for staff working across all library, information and knowledge management sectors and is particularly suitable for newcomers to copyright or those who need a refresher.

Trainer: Naomi Korn, CEO and Founder, Naomi Korn Associates

Online | 12 & 19 June 2024

Advanced Copyright Training
2024

This detailed two-part online course is designed for anyone responsible for copyright in their organisation, across all library, information, knowledge, data & heritage sectors and is suitable for those with prior training / knowledge.

It is perfect for those wanting to learn more about the latest copyright developments, their role and responsibilities and how they can embed copyright compliance in their organisation.

Trainer: Naomi Korn, CEO and Founder, Naomi Korn Associates

Online | 14 & 21 November 2024

Copyright Training

Copyright Essentials Summer

12 & 19 June

Copyright Essentials Autumn

10 & 17 October

Advanced Copyright

14 & 21 November

Copyright Licences

4 & 11 December

Update your marketing preferences  |  Unsubscribe  |  Privacy

CILIP, c/o British Library, Room 150, 90 Euston Road London, NW1 2DB

To unsubscribe from the LIS-COPYSEEK list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=LIS-COPYSEEK&A=1