Hi,
Breakout rooms are an interesting topic aren't they? Just to echo what Benjamin said earlier, I was in a recent online seminar for UK staff where the mention of breakout rooms instantly halved the numbers. I asked my daughters who are both at different universities (one in science and the other arts) about this issue and they both said everyone hates them with a passion. Apparently, breakout rooms are "cringe" (embarrassing) and their peers also leave immediately when those two words are spoken.

In fact, their peer groups prefer a recording compared to attending live sessions although they are fine as long as cameras are not required. Apparently, they enjoy snacks throughout live online sessions and don't wish to be seen at all.

So, theoretically breakout rooms offer great scope, a range of applications, flexibility, and pedagogical potential. However, the perception of them amongst some humans may be different. It will vary of course and some will relish the social and discursive learning opportunities they afford but worth offering recordings regardless (most courses do that now anyway).

That said, I have asked students in live sessions to open a new tab on their browser and to do a specified activity for 5 minutes before feeding back in the chat box. If they do return (and most do) this works very well and you avoid the virtual upheaval of going back and forth between spaces or being suddenly whisked away into some very random social arrangement. It also keeps the class 'together' more. A compromise perhaps?

Have a great weekend everybody.

Best Wishes,
Nick

Dr. Nicholas Bowskill, SFHEA, AFSEDA,
Senior Lecturer in Education (UDOL)
University of Derby,
Kedleston Road,
Derby

Bowskill, N., Hall, D., Harrogate, M., and Hutchinson, L., (2022), "Nostalgia, belonging and mattering: an affective institutional framework for digital collegiality drawn from teachers’ experiences of online delivery during the first wave of the Covid pandemic." Journal of University Teaching & Learning Practice 19(4). https://ro.uow.edu.au/jutlp/vol19/iss4/17/

Nicholas Bowskill is a former Kelvin-Smith Scholar at University of Glasgow. Nicholas is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He was lead tutor for SEDA online workshop on Introduction to Educational Change and still is Senior Lecturer in Education (UDOL) at University of Derby. He is a reviewer for various published journals including: Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, Interactive Learning Environments and International Journal of Art and Design Education and Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education. SharedThinking is an independent consultancy.