Dear Alessia,

Thank you for your reply, and thanks to Jon for forwarding this to you.

I appreciate the additional information.

I think you are probably right, and this was inserted and moulded in when the piece was made. It would certainly be ‘easier’, well as easy as moulding molten lava would have been!

That’s the problem with having only images to ID and not the physical object. In the images, it just seems so poorly moulded in compared to the coins we have in the collection. That and having never seen an example like this before got me pondering the alternative.

It would make sense that it’s a ‘modern’ souvenir, that certainly fits when the original person was travelling. I will forward your information on to the enquirer.

Thank you again,

All the best

Kind regards

Andrew